Friday, November 16, 2012

their story—collected



This summer I spent many long hours helping my mom, along with her brothers and sisters, put together a family history book. We had a big family reunion in July, so felt it appropriate to finally document my grandparents' lives. 


I thought I knew all about my grandma's story, but I kept getting all the facts and dates mixed up. When I put this book together I couldn't believe how much I was missing. It was so neat to discover her childhood and the stories I've never even heard before. Goodness, my grandma was rock solid! She went through a lot, but never really talked about any of the hardships. Grandma Wanda passed away from cancer while my sister and I were working in Alaska one summer. I remember it being really hard for me, yet so grateful that I was able to grow up with her in my life.
On the other hand, I never knew my grandpa. He died from a heart attack when my oldest brother was only a toddler. I always wanted to know more about him, so when I compiled all his stuff I finally felt a connection that I've never really had. I learned so many things about his childhood, his service in the war, and the struggles he and my grandma went through with employment and raising their kids. Grandpa Wayne served his God, his family, and his country.
I finished this project with a stronger love for my grandparents and a grateful heart for the blessing of family.

Pages from the book: 




I'm so grateful I was able to put this collection of photos, dates, and stories together for future generations to enjoy.
My new favorite quote:

“God is the designer of the family. He intended that the greatest of happiness, the most satisfying aspects of life, the deepest joys should come in our associations together and our concerns one for another as fathers and mothers and children.” 
(Gordon B. Hinckley, in Conference Report, April 1991, 98; or Ensign, May 1991, 74).

also, special thanks to my sissies for their photo skills in the book.
.......................................................................................................................................................................................................

7 comments:

Jacquelyn said...

jenn- that pic of grandaddy and grandma by your bed is the sweetest! makes me cry just looking at it and all the stories it tells. seriously i think this is so priceless... these books will be loved and admired by many for years to come. thank you so much for doing it. looks great!

Unknown said...

What a cool project! It looks SO professional. It was probably nice being able to learn so much about your grandparents.

Carrie B. said...

Amazing, Jenn. What a fun and rewarding project.

chris m. said...

Jenn! This is amazing. I love it. I love the design and how you mixed historical with fun pics. Such a great project, I am impressed!!! This makes me want to do one for my family. :)

Steph said...

We got lucky with your mad skills! The book is awesome.

Megan & Matt said...

You are so talented! Love the book and what a thing to cherish!

Karin said...

That is incredible! I love it. The picture of your granddaddy looks a lot like your brothers too. So neat!!